Road trip to Eldora Speedway!

This past weekend my boyfriend and his friends and family picked me up on their way to New Weston, Ohio to watch the races. I got in the car around 10:30am Friday morning and we got to our hotel around 5pm.  Before we left Michigan we stopped at a little restaurant/bar right off the highway that had Harley Davidson motorcycles displayed in the windows – it looked pretty BA. Inside was a mini arcade with about 8 games and a pool table, so we played pool while we waited for the food to come.  Then we were on the road again. Long car rides can be exhausting and somewhat boring, so check out this site for some fun games to play in the car!

Right off 127 is Eldora Speedway so we stopped there for a couple of minutes and then went to the hotel.  Everyone was irritated with the hotel we stayed at because when they made the reservations a week in advance the front desk representative said they had a bar connected which is the whole reason they chose this specific hotel.  But when we got there, the bar was closed and had been closed for at least 2 months. Now that’s faulty advertising. And we don’t like faulty advertising.

The races were cancelled Friday due to rain so we bar hopped around Greenville and St. Henry’s.  We ate dinner at Tail Gators and then went to the speedway for a couple of beers, and then St. Henry’s Night Club, then Danny’s, and then one more bar until we decided to call it a night.

Saturday was amazing.  We got up and around, ate breakfast at a cute little restaurant and went to the Speedway again at 1pm.  It was $40 for a pit ticket so we all got those and went in.  This was my first time at a race and I had a blast!  We walked through the pits looking for some racers they knew, there were over 120 Michigan Modified race cars and they all looked awesome, and sounded even better.  They started the qualifying rounds so we sat on the bleachers watching dozens of cars speed around Tony Stewart’s dirt race track.  Some times the cars were going about 120 mph and whipping their cars around the corners. The races started probably close to 5pm and it got a little chilly outside but thanks to many layers and hot chocolate, I survived.

During some of the final races, I walked to the infield with a couple of the guys and stood at the fence watching 20 some cars racing.  The ground literally shook from their speed and noise coming from the cars.  I stood less than ten feet from some of the cars as they went around the corners doing over 100 mph.  It was a great experience getting to do it all in my first trip.

Some things I recommend to people who are traveling in a car for multiple hours – grab blankets, pillows and maybe a book or homework to do along the way.  Or play a couple of games from the site provided above, or talk to people in the car, sing, do whatever! Have a blast while doing it though.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s